Due to the significant increase in the growth of smartphone users across the globe, application usage has also been witnessing an upward trend. Applications have radically changed the concept of communication, interaction and connecting businesses, which has ultimately made the lives of humans very much easier. On the other hand, there are some security concerns that have still to be addressed, which is the main reason that people need to have a good understanding of cyber-attacks and other associated things so that everybody will be financially motivated in the long run. Comprehensive systems are very important to be focused on so that maintenance of data privacy and integrity will be very well done. ultimately, introducing the concept of OWASP Mobile Application Security Verification Standard (MASVS) is definitely important because it will stress mobile application security. Since application security can be compromised for a significant number of reasons, people need to have a good understanding of the concept of security right from day one.
The concept of OWASP Mobile Application Security Verification Standard (MASVS) is basically the open standard that will provide people with a baseline of the application security and ultimately comes with several verification levels designed with the motive of improving the security. OWASP Mobile Application Security Verification Standard (MASVS) will be very successful in standardising the requirements of the significant range of applications and will be taking into account the current threat landscape in the whole process. The concept of OWASP Mobile Application Security Verification Standard (MASVS) has been very well developed with the motive of fulfilling the following objectives and has been justified:
- To be used as a metric: The security requirements that have been stated under the concept of OWASP Mobile Application Security Verification Standard (MASVS) will be basically a standard for the application developers so that they will be able to compare the existing systems without any problem.
- To be used as guidance: Basically, this is the guiding tool that will be provided and used by developers across the globe in all the faces of application development and testing systems so that things will be done very easily.
- To be used during procurement: OWASP Mobile Application Security Verification Standard (MASVS) is very important to provide people with a significant basis for verification of the mobile application security so that things will be very well carried out without any problem with the entire system.
Categories of OWASP Mobile Application Security Verification Standard (MASVS) have been very well explained as follows, which people need to focus on:
- Architecture design and trade morning requirements: This will deal with the design and architecture of the application, and further, it will be serving the clients to remote services so that everything will be carried out as per the security standards. Addressing the concerns right from the planning to the architecture is important in this case.
- Data storage and privacy: The category of OWASP Mobile Application Security Verification Standard (MASVS) will definitely cover the security verification requirements so that protection of sensitive data will be very well done in the applications and further, the sensitive data will be capable of introducing the personally identifiable information right from the beginning. Things in this case will be very well sorted out the whole process so that everything will be done in the right direction.
- Cryptography verification code and security: Controls that have been listed under this particular section will definitely aim to guide the developers with the best possible practice of using cryptography, and this particular category will be very well focused on encouraging successful libraries along with random number-generating systems along with the configuration of the cryptographic primitives.
- Authentication and session management requirements: Logging in to a remote service is basically a vital component of the mobile application architecture, and ultimately, people need to have a good understanding of the basic requirements for managing user accounts and sessions. Verification of these requirements will not require any kind of accessibility to the endpoint source code.
- Network communication requirements: This particular chapter will stress the importance of protecting the integrity and confidentiality of the information that has to be transmitted between mobile applications and remote service endpoints. It is important for the mobile application to focus on the encrypted channel with the best possible protocol of network authentication. Dealing with the in-depth measures of defence is important so that everything will be recommended for the best possible levels without any problem in the whole process.
- Environmental interaction requirement: This particular section will deal with the standardised components and platform application programming interface, which has been used by developer applications across the globe, along with security standards that have to be applied in interprocess communication.
- Code quality with build setting requirements: Security controls that have been covered under this particular section will be dealing with the secured coding practises to be implemented so that application development will be sorted out and, ultimately, activating the security features will be done right from the beginning. This particular section will be helpful in making sure that everything will be safe and secure and that there will be no problem in handling the logic.
- Resiliency against the reverse engineering requirement: This particular last section of the entire system will deal with the implementation of adequate security protection measures, which will be difficult for hackers in terms of reverse engineering the application. The controls that have been stated under this particular section will be based upon assessment of security systems so that reverse engineering will be understood very well right from the beginning. The basic purpose of this particular control system will be to strengthen the security of the application, and by not implementing all of these controls, the application will not be developing any kind of vulnerabilities.
Hence, developing a good command over OWASP ASVS is important for modern-day organisations so that they can improve the application security with threat analytics right from the beginning and ultimately will be able to focus on real-time monitoring along with easy-to-use compatibility with third-party systems without any compromise on performance.